dinsdag 2 juli 2013

Schwalbe Tour Transalp 2013: back on track

After a rather bad preparation period due to the weather, little and bigger injuries,... my first performances were not want they had to be. Therefore, a lot of doubts towards Tour Transalp.
I did not tell anyone about those doubts, especially not my partner Geert. I didn't wanted to cause any panic ;-)

Schwalbe Tour Transalp = altitude meters
Stage 1: 2279 Sonthofen - Sankt Anton
Stage 2: cancelled Sankt-Anton - Imst
Stage 3: 2474 Imst - Zernez
Stage 4: 3994 Zernez - Livigno
Stage 5: 2878 Livigno - Aprica
Stage 6: 2890 Aprica - Kaltern
Stage 7: 1625 Kaltern - Arco


Stages 1 and 3 were very fast at the beginning, although there were several altitude meters. This resulted in rather lousy legs at the end of the day. If this went on and on, I did not expect to finish in Arco.
But all this changed in stage 4: the legs were not super on the Stelvio climb, and certainly not at the following Foscagno and Passo d'Eira. But we did a very good job in the ranking: we did climb to position 4 Herren and 6 overall. Turning point was stage 5, on Mortirolo climb (one of my favorites, next to Timmelsjoch and Galibier). This stage, I had my best day in months!! and this resulted in a 3th place Herren and 4th place overall.

Foto: Wolfgang Tilch

Unfortunately our team and partnership ended in the descend towards Brezer Joch, not far after Rumco. Geert could not avoid a rider in front of him and fell on the ground: his bike was damaged and Geert his hip was injured. Geert had to abandon and so ended our Transalp as  ETIXX-WILIER & CR BY FORCHHEIM a few days earlier then expected.




But we reached what we did not expected at all: next to the great performances, a "climb" on the podium in one of the King stages.

Foto: Wolfgang Tilch
Somethimes things happens and I'm looking back with a good feeling. On the way between Sonthofen and Arco, I found back what I was looking for.
I'm (hopefully) back on the track for the rest of 2013 GF season.


Many thanks to several people to keep on supporting during past weeks and months where I was looking for solutions to get myself in a better shape:

Foto: Wolfgang Tilch

- Etixx Sports Nutrition: the support for a well being body during such a intensive 7 day experience
- Wilier: getting the best Zero 7 bike for a rider in all circumstances
- Energy Lab for training advice and to adjust position
- Chiropractor Alliet to adjust my body to get the right feeling again
- Team Forchheim and Gobbi-LGL for all the support and good care on our way (Steffen, Ludwig, Jurgen, Filip,...)
And everybody during this event for a good talk, support, joke,...
 
Foto: Wolfgang Tilch