woensdag 4 september 2013

Charly Gaul Luxemburg 2013

One week after the "DNS" in Ötztaler, I decided to add a granfondo to my shedule. Not really a climbing experience with his 2200 altitude meters on 160km, but rather fast and a hard race.

Compared with the training shedule for Ötztaler, I was not trained on the shorter climbs, but I like the "explosive" climbs.
Without a real goal, trying to finish as good as it gets...


A big peloton on his way to Vianden, where the race really began! 9 people in front, but I had to let them go and did my work in the chasing group.
After 90km, we cathed the leaders and went on with a group of 30-40 riders. It was a hard race with a lot of attacking on the way.


On the final climb, the decision was a fact and 7 riders were in front. I tried to catch up the leaders, but had to let them go 30 meters before the top. 30 meters became 40...50... The chasing group of 15 was not working together and with 4 riders, we could not close the gap.
In the sprint I had to defeat the compact group, but had to tolerate one rider. A 9th place was the highest possible. I finished 3rd in my age category.
Here you can find the results: http://www.chronorace.be/web2/Classements/Classement.aspx?eventId=243838178295808&mode=large&IdClassement=9698