maandag 30 september 2013

Pain is temporary, quiting is forever.

After the canceled Trek-Ardenne Bleue in Verviers half September, the Granfondoseason ended aprubtly without a real ending.
So I decided to score some other goals in autumn: preparing for some winter duathlons...
I started running two weeks ago and did ride one time on my mountainbike last week: not the best preparation for a 12km run - 55km mountainbike - 8km run duathlon. But I wanted to try and finish as good as it gets...
Yesterday I started without any expectations, although I did watch the results closely to predict my capability. It was my first duathlon ever and I didn't knew how my body was going to react on the run-bike-run switches! Based on my running and mountainbike speed, I could predict where to end. But it wasn't that easy at all!!!

Man! I suffered a lot! The first 12km went rather well, and I did not speed up too much before riding the mountainbike. Some "safety" measures...to make up the time in the 55km ride.


After 12km, I was 24th. The mountainbike ride was a real catch up and I finished 14th. The last 8km run was hell: the first 4km round went well, but the last 4km I suffered a lot! My feet were hurting (Achilles' tendon) so much (a real overkill due to a lack of training) that I wanted to quit. But pain is temporary, quiting is forever!


Overall I became 15th and 14th in my category. With a couple of participants from the world level, not that bad at all...and keeping in mind that it was my first duathlon ever.
http://uitslagen.3athlon.be/pdffiles/2013/wetteren2013/wetteren2013_cross_scratch.pdf


Now I realize that a "two-week" preparation isn't enough and now I have to ache a couple of days. Next time, I will train more specific to gain some time...and places! To be continued in 2013...'14?